Certified Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Professional
Licensed Life & Health Agent
“The only dish I make that anyone has ever asked me to bring more to a gathering more than once is a kale salad!”
This recipe is a hit even with non-kale-lovers:
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale—center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 12 oz brussels sprouts, trimmed and finely grated or shredded with a knife
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, dived
- 1/3 cup almonds with skins coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely grated Pecorino cheese
- Combine lemon Juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, ¼ tsp salt & a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld. Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
- Measure ½ cup oil into a cup. Spoon 1 tbsp oil from cup into a small skillet; heat oil over medium-high heat. Add almonds to skillet and stir frequently until golden brown in spots (about 2 minutes). Transfer nuts to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle almonds lightly with salt.
- Slowly whisk remaining olive oil in cup into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add dressing and cheese to kale mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds.
Great Full Gardens
“In Reno, my favorite places to eat are places with delicious, fresh and interesting food! “
In Reno, Deanna’s favorite places to eat are Great Full Gardens and Campo. When she has a little more time, she loves to drive up to Truckee, CA to eat sushi at the Drunken Monkey or have a leisurely dinner at 2014’s Best Restaurant and Bar, Cottonwood where she gets to experience a since of adventure at one of the Nations oldest ski lodges!